Friday, May 8, 2015

UPDATE: Fishers of Men

Back in February I wrote about some fishermen that I met while I was researching the "B" people in The Gambia. Well, I was able to go back and visit these some of the fishermen last week. When we left their village back in February, we had given them an SD card with some stories from The Word on it. We had be hoping that the fishermen had been listening to the stories. When we arrived back at their village they greeted us and said they were very happy that we had come back to visit. We were not able to stay very long, as we had somewhere to be, but one of the fishermen, we will call him "S", asked if we could meet with him later. He told us he had some questions about the stories.

A couple days later, myself and my friend went and visited with "S" in a nearby village. We sat with him for a while and answered some of his questions. Many of them were about JC and his death, as well as different cultural questions. After we had answered his questions, "S" told us that he believed and that he wanted to Follow. We were very excited, but we wanted to make sure that he was serious about his decision. After talking with "S" some more we pr*yed together and thanked the Father for showing Himself to "S". As we got in the truck and drove away, I couldn't help but smile and think, yes, we have a new brother!

It is crazy to think that we just stumbled upon this village on the river in The Gambia, and here we are just a few months later with a new brother. The Father is so good and I am so thankful that I get to be a part of this awesome work. He does not need me to do His work, but He still allows me to be a part of it. My hope is that "S" will be an example to the other fishermen in his village and that they too will come to know the Father. I hope that more of these men will not only be fishers of fish, but like "S", they too will become fishers of men.

1 comment: